Saturday, April 22, 2017

First post!

Well hullo. I'm tryna give blogging another go after a few false starts over several years. I recently stumbled on the blog of the recently deceased Richard Thompson ("recently" as in almost a year ago), and I felt inspired to try it again. Keeping a journal with good ol' pen and pencil is nice and all, but you can't include fancy internet links and photos as easily. And errybody gets a chance to look at it before you delete it out of embarrassment. (people don't really use "Blogger" anymore right? So I'm safe from too many prying eyes?)

   Anyways, on the topic of Richard Thompson, I feel regretful I didn't pay more attention to his work while he was still being published in newspapers. I saw Cul de Sac as a funny strip, along with Mutts, Zits, Dilbert (kinda), Bizarro, Non Sequitur, Bloom County, and Pearls Before Swine. But at that time newspapers were dying, and I kinda scoffed at most stuff being printed. I just skimmed through them while giving online comics more precedence. I guess I could have just not been mature enough to appreciate his beautifully shaky lines and well paced humor, being that I was just a teenager while his stuff was being printed. I guess I have a trove of his work to explore, even if it is work that was cut short by his untimely death.

His Blogger: http://richardspooralmanac.blogspot.com/

Go Comics: http://www.gocomics.com/culdesac

No comments:

Post a Comment